Best Picture
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Gravity
- Her
- Nebraska
- Philomena
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
A pretty predictable set of nominations, with Saving Mr. Banks the only real snub, although some may argue that The Butler and August: Osage County deserved nominations. All the momentum is currently going to 12 Years a Slave and American Hustle, with Gravity next in line and I can't see it going to any other film, despite how much I loved Captain Phillips.

What I want to win: Captain Phillips - just an extremely tense, engrossing thriller, with Tom Hanks giving (for me) the performance of his career.
What will will: 12 Years a Slave or American Hustle - probably the former. I could imagine the Globes plumping for Hustle's star power and glitz but I think the Academy will prefer Slave's harrowing true story.
Best Director
- Alfonso Cuarón - Gravity
- Steve McQueen - 12 Years a Slave
- Alexander Payne - Nebraska
- David O. Russell - American Hustle
- Martin Scorsese - The Wolf of Wall Street
Relatively safe choices again, but where is Paul Greengrass? He's been nominated for pretty much everything else, but the Academy have favoured Alexander Payne and Martin Scorsese over him.
Who I want to win: Now Greengrass is gone, probably Cuarón. He did an incredible job with such an ambitious project and has a lot of momentum in his favour. Russell would be my second.
Who will win: Probably Cuarón. His prowess with both the technical and emotional side of Gravity will pull him through.
Best Actor
- Christian Bale - American Hustle
- Bruce Dern - Nebraska
- Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
- Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave
- Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club
WHERE IS TOM HANKS. Bale was great in American Hustle and everything but Tom Hanks's brilliant performance in Captain Phillips was truly something to behold. Also, no Redford? Whaat.
Who will win: For me, it's a straight race between Ejiofor and McConaughey, whilst the latter has the Globes momentum, it all depends on which film the Academy favours on the whole.
Best Actress
- Amy Adams - American Hustle
- Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
- Sandra Bullock - Gravity
- Judi Dench - Philomena
- Meryl Streep - August: Osage County
All brilliant performances, but I would have picked Emma Thompson over Meryl. Meryl was solid but she has been better and Thompson's turn in Saving Mr Banks was one of her best. Besides that, a sound list.
Who I want to win: Probably Adams (the only nominee who hasn't won previously) but if Thompson was there, it would be here - in all her heel throwing glory.
Who will win: Cate Blanchett of course, with Bullock running her a close second. Blanchett was excellent in Blue Jasmine and absolutely all of the momentum is headed her way.
Best Supporting Actor
- Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
- Bradley Cooper - American Hustle
- Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave
- Jonah Hill - The Wolf of Wall Street
- Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club
This list perhaps brings the most surprises. I'm moderately surprised with Cooper's acting nod and very surprised with Hill's. Similar to the Globes, I probably would have favoured Rush's Daniel Bruhl or maybe Steve Coogan's subtle performance in Philomena.

Who I want to win: Leto, through and through. He's a very dedicated actor and he thoroughly deserves it.
Who will win: Leto. Everything is going his way. Similar to the Best Actor category last year, this is pretty much a one horse race, although I imagine Fassbender will be the distant runner-up.
Best Supporting Actress
Best Supporting Actress
- Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
- Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle
- Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
- Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
- June Squibb - Nebraska
Who I want to win: I'd love to see Roberts win, or Hawkins, both of whom have been overshadowed by their co-stars Streep and Blanchett.
Who will win: Lawrence or Nyong'o - this one again depends on which film has the most momentum on the night, with my guess being that newcomer Nyong'o will have the Academy's favour.
Best Animated Feature
- The Croods
- Despicable Me 2
- Ernest & Celestine
- Frozen
- The Wind Rises
WHERE IS MONSTERS UNIVERSITY. My second favourite animation of the year has been snubbed, hmph. That, along with Thompson and Hanks is what has disappointed me most this time around. That said, it's nice to see some more independent films garner attention.
What I want to win: Frozen - a lively, funny updated on a Hans Christen Andersen, Frozen was both poignant and entertaining, with rave reviews and an overwhelming take at the box office. What's not to like?
What will win: depending on the mood of the Academy, it could be Frozen or The Wind Rises. I'd plump for Frozen, although the generally sentimental Academy may want to send director Hayao Miyazaki off on a high note.
Other Predictions
Best Original Score: Gravity
Best Original Screenplay: Her/Blue Jasmine
Best Adapated Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
Best Cinematography: Gravity
Best Original Song: Let it Go - Frozen
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
(I don't feel qualified enough to comment/predict on any of the others!)






No comments:
Post a Comment