Overall
rating: 4.5 stars
This
year's Pixar flick is a hilarious and colourful romp with a couple of our
childhood heroes, enhanced by joyful characters, traditional heart and gleeful
nostalgia. It brilliantly captures the verve of the original, making it the
best animation of the year so far (and looking at the rest of the main animated
films slated for release this year -Turbo, Cloudy 2, Planes, Frozen - it will
probably stay that way!)
The Good
I'd like
to start with the amount of grafting that goes on in the creation of a Pixar
film. So many people forget how much work goes into animated films, Pixar
especially. You've got to think of the story, storyboard it, pitch it, design
settings and characters, animate, render, add lighting and shadows, finalise
story details and ensure it hits theatres on time. The ignorance of these
people irritates me, so whenever I go to watch a Pixar film, I always ensure
whoever I go with pays great attention to the details. This is more evident
than ever in Pixar's films, this one in particularly. There are hundreds
of background characters with scales, fur, shiny skin etc. Monsters University
looks as amazing as you'd expect, I even saw tiny dust particles floating in
the air during one scene, testimony to how much Pixar's animation has advanced
in recent years. Similarly, I love the way Pixar give such great stories to
their characters, including minor characters.
Then
there's the story. It's good, if not groundbreaking. Of course we know how it
will end, but director Dan Scanlon takes us there in a way which I certainly
didn't expect. I enjoyed the surprising depth which came in the third act, as well
as the conclusion of the story line. Plenty of humour was injected too. It's
not Pixar's funniest (for me that title goes to "Up") but there's
plenty of things that will make you chuckle (I still laugh most of the gags,
having seen it four times now). These gags suceed mostly thanks to the great
characters some of which we already know: Sulley, Mike, Randall etc. and then
there are new ones, which I already feel strongly attached to: Terri, Terry,
SQUISHY, Art, Don, Mrs Squibbles etc. Squishy and Art are my particular favourites,
but for me the funniest gag is Art standing out in the open during Mike's
hiding exercise! I still laugh at the mere thought. I cannot forget to mention
Helen Mirren's excllent Dean Hardscrabble, chillingly voiced and excellently
designed. Finally, Randy Newman's score is excellent as always, the new tune is memorable and creative.
The Bad
The one
bad thing I could pick out was that a few of the jokes fell slightly flat. I'm
not sure if this was the audience (being British I don't think all of the jokes
registered with the younger, foreign audience), or just the script trying too
hard. The main examples were the slow slug, funny briefly but it went on too
long and Art's extra toe, which was met by blank faces all round.
To
Conclude
Monsters
University will charm and entertain everyone, with hilarious nods to the first
film and lots of fresh new jokes. You'll enjoy the antics of Mike and Sulley,
maybe not quite as much as Inc., but it's gloriously Pixar anyway.
Saschka
Unseld's The Blue Umbrella, a cute short which debuts before MU. Whilst the
story isn't anything especially new, the animation is peerless (you'll believe
me when you see it), the scoring is beautiful and it is an enjoyable, touching
few minutes to add anyone's day.


No comments:
Post a Comment